ME-067 Held meeting number 54 in Perth on 7 & 8 November 2019. ME-067 is the Standards Australia committee that works on drafting, reviewing and updating national and international standards relating to assistive technology products for persons with disability. An information page on ARATA’s work in Australian and International Standards can be found on the ARATA homepage at the following link http://www.arata.org.au/about-at/standards/
- Review of Australian Standards: AS/NZS 3856 part 1 and 2: Hoists and ramps for people with disabilities - vehicle-mounted
- Discussion on SA TS 3695.3: 2018 Wheelchairs Requirements for designation of powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters for public transport and/or road-related area use
- Review of AS/NZS 3973: 2009 Shower/toilet chairs (mobile and static)
- AS ISO 7176.2 — Wheelchairs, Part 2: Determination of dynamic stability of electrically powered wheelchairs
- International Participation of the ME-067 committee members
- Review of Australian standards: AS/NZS 3856 part 1 and 2: Hoists and ramps for people with disabilities—Vehicle-mounted: This project has now commenced and a few members from the subcommittee ME-067-01 – Transport and Mobility were also present at the meeting and a kick off project presentation was made by the project manager. The committee approached TGA and Austroads for a representative in the light of transport related projects which the committee is working on. The committee is still considering whether it is worth merging the two parts into one considering that part 2 is called upon in the DSAPT (Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport) requirements.
- 2. Discussion on SA TS 3695.3 : 2018 Wheelchairs Requirements for designation of powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters for public transport and/or road-related area use : The committee is considering the converting this technical specification (TS) into a standard as a TS is only valid for 4 years and DSAPT could be reluctant to call upon this due its life span. Also, in the industry the standard carries more weight than the TS. The committee also reviewed the scope of the document and agreed that it was clearly written.
- 3. Review of AS/NZS 3973:2009 Shower/toilet chairs (mobile and static): The committee established a project lead for the revision of this standard who would also take part in the revision of ISO 17966 Assistive products for personal hygiene that support users — Requirements and test methods. The project lead will compare the current AS/NZS 3973 with ISO 17966:2016 and establish a working group to do further groundwork before submitting a project proposal.
- AS ISO 7176.2 - Wheelchairs, Part 2:Determination of dynamic stability of electrically powered wheelchairs : The committee is working on a direct adaptation of ISO 7176.2. The committee was advised that it is no longer a joint committee between Australia and New Zealand due to the fact that there is only one NZ member.
- International Participation of the ME-067 committee members: Members of the ME067 technical committee have been taking an active role in the development of the international standards for many years by being a part of ISO technical committee 173. The primary objective of ISO/TC173 is to produce international standards in the field of assistive products and related services to assist a person in compensating for reduced abilities. Some of the projects the committee members that are currently involved in include:
- ISO/CD 10535 : Hoists for the transfer of disabled persons -- Requirements and test methods
- ISO/DIS 21801-1 : Cognitive accessibility -- Part 1: General guidelines
- ISO/CD 7176-14 : Wheelchairs -- Part 14: Power and control systems for electrically powered wheelchairs and scooters -- Requirements and test methods
- ISO/DIS 10542-1 Wheelchair tie down and occupant-restraint systems -- Part 1: Requirements and test methods for all systems
- ISO/NP TS 16840-7 Wheelchair seating -- Part 7: Cushion heat & water vapour testing
- ISO 16840-3 Wheelchair seating -- Part 3: Determination of static, impact and repetitive load strengths for postural support devices
- ISO 16840-10 Wheelchairs -- Resistance to ignition of non-integrated seat and bac support cushions - Part 10: Requirements and test methods